LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

dog: fell off the porch while playing and landed..shes eating

my dog fell off the porch while playing and landed on her back, shortly there after she coughed up blood, what could be wrong ? she's currently not complaining, she's eating and drinking, but still occasionally coughing and there is a trace of blood still, this happened an hour ago, please help me out...
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 8 years ago.

If she is acting normally apart from coughing and producing only a small amount of blood, you may be able to keep her as quiet as possible and wait. If she is coughing up a lot of blood or starts to act abnormally, she is likely to need veterinary care.

If the blood is coming from her mouth, she may have bitten her tongue or cheek or bumped her gums. She may have bruised her lungs causing some bleeding. Often blood from the lungs will come out the nose and/or mouth. Blood from the lungs is often (not always) foamy.

If the blood is coming out her nose, sensitive structures in her nose may be bleeding.

Apart from keeping her quiet and letting her drink, there is not much you can do at home. It sounds like you fed her, which is fine. She does not need to be fed extra and limiting her food for 12 hours would be reasonable.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.