Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
7995545

my yorkie was constipated....he had blockage from a dried poop

Customer Question

my yorkie was constipated....he had blockage from a dried poop on his hair around his rear.....now his bottom is very sore and bleeding. The muscles around his bottom seem very weak and it is not closing (as it should). He is very tired and sleepy. He has also not eaten all day. What to do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer! I'm so sorry that you have had such a delay in getting a response - I just logged on and saw your question, and have replied right away!

How is your boy now?

Any vomiting?

Is he eating/drinking yet?

Fiona

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

Hi again....

I'm quite concerned about your dog! I am worried because he sounds so lethargic and unresponsive.

Your dog may be suffering from HYPOGLYCEMIA (low blood sugar).

I would like you to go right now and treat him for this by giving him a teaspoon of honey, karo syrup, corn syrup or maple syrup. See if he will lick it off your finger, or rub it on his gums.

Go do this now, and then COME BACK and let me know how he is after 1- 2 minutes so I can tell you what to do after that!

Fiona

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
I have to go upstairs to put my kids to bed - but will be back in about 45minutes! I hope to be able to talk with you then!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dr. Fiona,

Thank you for getting back to me.......i have been sitting with him. I gave him a bath to soak the area on his bottom that looks very red/soar and then applied some neo sporin in hopes to soothe it. He has not eaten anything all day. Actually, he ate breakfast but then from straining to poop he vomitted it all up. The dried poop was cleaned from his rear and excess hair cut away which then revealed an opening on his bottom which was very red. It looks like his anus is not closing all the way. I would imagine that a dogs rear is much like a humans in that after you relieve yourself your anus will close back up again. Chili's seems as though the muscle is very loose. He was straining for some time, could that have made his muscle loosen? If so do i need to be concerned? I brought him some chicken and rice as well as his dry food and water, he has not touched any of it. He basically slept and laid down all day.

Lastly when he has gotten up to go to the bathroom he seems to still be straining but only a little soft stool with blood in it comes out....like droplets. Normal?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Angela
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

Hi Angela!

Hmmm... is there redness beside the anus?

Or is the anus itself flaccid and open?

If you poke the anus with the tip of a pen or pencil, does it "pucker" in response?

Did you try the syrup - is he any brighter?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes there is redness around the anus and what appears to be in the anus. It also appears to be open. I did not try the syrup.....I don't have any. I do have honey though. do you still recommend i try it?

thank you,
angela
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

Angela,

Please try with the honey right away!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay, i gave him some honey, he loved it:)....i also spoon fed him a little water. His rear is definatley open.

Angela
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Did you try touching it with a pen? Did he pucker?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's hard for me to tell......i am lifting him up by his back legs and gently touching the red area with my thumbs, (he's being so good for me, considering the prodding) . he does not seem to be puckering, from what i can tell.

I feel so horrible for him......he is still laying down, almost likes he's just "bummed".

Any thoughts?

Angela
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

Angela,

There are a few things that I am wondering about...Just trying to narrow it down! ;-)

I would really like you to poke his anus with a pen - it has to be something sharp (but that won't hurt him). I would like you to poke the inside edge a few times, and see if there is any kind of pucker at all.

Also, can you tell me if he is able to walk?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Fiona,

I did poke his anus a few times with the back side of pen and there is no puckering......he really did not react to it at all.

He can walk........He was walking around a bit after his bath this evening.

Angela
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

Hmmmm... ok, well that is great that he is able to walk around! :-)

How long do you think he had the fecal ball stuck to his anal area?

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
With the feces that was stuck to his anal area, was it diarrhea matted into the fur? Or was it really hard?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My guess is......at the minimum 12- 24 hours. Last night i noticed that he was straining to poop, however he did poop so I thought nothing of it. He woke up this morning as normal. We ran around for about 10-15 minutes and then I fed him breakfast. About an hour after I noticed he was straining very hard and for at least a 2 hour period. I assumend that he was simply constipated until I saw the ball of poop stuck to his anus. We then cleaned the area and noticed that his rear was very red and open........

The bath this evening was because there seemed to be some blood around his anus and possibly some puss????? It was hard for me to tell. It also had a bad odor.

Thanks,
angela
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

Ok, Angela! :-) That has been very helpful!

When he pooped last night, was it normal, softer than normal or harder than normal?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would have to say it was normal in texture but smaller than usual about 1/2 the size. Not that he poops very big considering his size :) All of 4 lbs that he is......

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I must admit, after having 2 kids you would think I could handle a small dog. (first time pet owner:) )

Angela
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

LOL! I have 2 kids, too, and in a lot of ways they are easier because they can TELL you what is wrong!

In the last few days/weeks has Chili been rubbing his anal area on the carpet? Licking at his anal area?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rubbing his rear on the carpet was something that I thought was normal and yes he has rubbed in the past few days / weeks. I did not however notice any licking, I didn't think he could reach.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

Aw, poor Chili!

Angela, it sounds like little Chili-bean might have an impacted and infected anal sac.

The anal sacs (or anal glands) are little glands located at the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock position if you are standing behind your dog. They are normally about the size of a chickpea. They have a little tube leading from the anal sac to the anal opening, and what Mother Nature intended was that every time your dog defecates, a few drops of the fluid contained in these sacs gets deposited on the poop.

Sometimes, however, the little tube gets blocked and the anal sac cannot empty. Anal sac fluid is continuously produced by the body so the sac gets more and more full. Eventually it can rupture out through the skin.

Given how close the area is to fecal matter, anal sac ruptures seem to always get infected. Treatment requires oral antibiotics since the sac is under the skin and the only way to get the antibiotics to it is by the blood stream, which means we have to give the antibiotics by mouth.

When I see patients with an anal sac abscess, I generally clean the area, start them on antibiotics and then see them back in a few days (once some of the swelling and pain have gone away) and try to express the anal gland to get rid of the blockage in the tube. Often I have to see the patient a few times. Also, I like to see them a week or so after the antibiotics are finished to make sure the blockage (impaction) hasn't returned.

Here are some links to further information:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625

http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/ansac.html

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/anal.htm

In terms of what you can do to help today, the most helpful thing would be for you to apply a warm compress to the area. If you have antibacterial soap in the house (Hibitane or chlorhexidene soap would be ideal) you can add a little to a cup of warm water. Put a washcloth in, then wring it out. Hold the warm, damp wash cloth to the swollen area for 10 minutes, rewarming it every 2 minutes or so. Wipe the area with a plain wet washcloth and pat dry.

I do think Chili is going to need to see his veterinarian to get some antibiotics to treat this. However, if your vet is not open at the moment, then the suggestion above may help to keep him comfortable until your vet opens!

I'm also a bit worried that his blood sugar is low due to not eating all day. This is called hypoglycemia. Here is more about it:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoglycemia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

In terms of treatment, it is REALLY important that you keep calories going in to him.

Also, offer lots of clear fluids. So, water is fine, but also he can have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1/4 cup an hour.

You can offer a small amount of his regular dog food, but if he doesn't eat it offer a bland diet. For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 2-3 tablespoons every 1 to 2 hours.

If he won't take the rice and meat mix, then you could try getting some human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that, or syringe it in little bits into Chili's mouth.

Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it. Here's a link:

http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/Results.asp

If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

I would strongly recommend that you keep a tube of nutristat on hand at all times in future to prevent/treat this problem if it happens again. Here is more about it: http://www.agri-med.com/site/255063/product/NUTRST-4.25 It is a calorie-dense paste that you can syringe into them to get maximum caloric impact from a given volume of food. It's very good to have on hand for small dogs prone to low blood sugar as it is such a serious problem!

I hope that helps you. If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback. I will still be here if you have further questions!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Fiona,

Thank you again for your stamina and staying with me through this......it sure makes more sense now. I will get him to the vet asap for antibiotics and have them look at the possible infected area. I will do my best to keep him hydrated and comfortable in his sore area. I feel so much better knowing I can do something for Chili to make sure he is comfortable till I can get to the Vet's office.

Thank you again........I will reply and accept. The info you provided was priceless.

Angela
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

Angela,

You are so welcome! I hope Chili feels MUCH better soon!

Fiona :-)