Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dogs cries when we touch his ears, and now he is scratching

My dogs cries when we touch his ears, and now he is scratching the hair off of his neck? What could be wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 years ago.

Hi Goblitt~

Sounds to me as if your dog has an ear infection, which would explain why he doesn't like you touching his ears and why he's scratching the hair off his neck.

I suggest you get him in to see a vet. They'll do an ear cytology (where they take a cotton swab and use it to see what's in the ear, then they roll the debris on a microscope slide to identify what kind of infection he has going on) and will most likely prescribe medications which could include both topical and oral antibiotics.

I would make sure to do this soon however, as ear infections are very painful and if left untreated, can cause hearing loss.

I hope this helps.