Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

How long can a puppy survive with the parvo virus if left unnoticed

How long can a puppy survive with the parvo virus if left unnoticed and untreated?

Parvo symptoms will be showing within 7-10 days. It starts with Vomiting and Diarrhea. The dehydration is what really takes its toll. The puppy cannot hold food or water as well as have blood in the diarrhea and in the Vomit. It is very visable and should have been noticed easily. The Parvo virus can live in the soil or on surfaces for at least 6 months to a year. That is the worst part of Parvo. I will give you a very good website on Parvo that may answer some other questions you may have. Joan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So if the puppy left my home healthy and did not get sick for 3 months after leaving my home, it is most likely a case that parvo was picked up somewhere else. Am I understanding this correctly?

That is the most likely scenario. Dogs can walk where a dog has had parvo stool and pick up the virus. It can also be brought in on the shoes of the owner. There are numerous possibilities. If the dog is infected with the virus, it does not stay dormant. There are definate symptoms that would be noticed. Parvo Stools even have a distictive odor. Vomiting, lethargy, blood in stool would all be showing if the dog had Parvo. Joan