UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS since 2004, Cert Vet Acupuncture. High caseload of canine patients.
7313698

do dogs with cushings disease have chronic tremors

do dogs with cushings disease have chronic tremors?

I have not seen this as a common sign of cushings in dogs when they first present with the disease - it is not something that would support my diagnosis particularly.

However, I have had a couple of owners report the tremors as a side effect of trilostane treatment (vetoryl), although the tremors do not appear to be detrimental to the dog and wouldn't make me stop treatment if the other, more significant signs, are under control.

If there is no clear cause on an mri and your dog is on this treatment then this may be the cause - if an ACTH stimulation test has not been done recently,it might be worth checking how well your treatment is working.

I hope this helps,

Jen

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
AT THE MOMENT MY DOG IS NOT ON ANY TREATMENT. WAITING FOR MORE TESTS TO COME BACK ON MONDAY. HIS FUR IS FALLING OUT, HE HAS SEVERE SKIN CONDITION AND HIS SHAKING IS CONSTANT EVEN WHEN HE IS SLEEPING, THIS EFFECTS HIS WHOLE BODY. APART FROM THAT HE BEHAVES LIKE A PUPPY. THE NERUOLOGIST SEEMS TO BE GRASPING AT STRAWS, ANY IDEAS? HAYLEY

I have to be honest and say that this doesn't really sound like anything I've seen before, and I would have suggested referral to a neuro specialist and an mri, so I'm struggling to come up with anything new. There is a condition which occurs where dogs who have generalised tremors from a particular cause are known as 'little white shakers'. A link about this is below.

http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/2004/spring/tremors.htm

I'm sure that your neurologist has already thought of this one, but I believe that MRI and CSF findings can be negative. This really occurs in white dogs, as the name suggests, but westie's are closely related to cairns? I believe that the only way to diagnose is by trial steroid treatment, so maybe talk to your specialist - they will know far more than me, and probably give you tons of reasons why it can;t be this, but I'm just wracking my brains for anything that might be useful!

Best Wishes,

Jen

Sorry, I should have posted as an info request so you don'r have to pay further to view!

Best Wishes,

Jen

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I WILL MENTION THIS TO THE VET. IF THE SPINAL FLUID TESTS COME BACK NEGATIVE THEN HE WANTS TO START TROSKI ON A COURSE OF STERIODS, ALTHOUGH HE HAS TRIED THESE FROM MY ORIGINAL VET BUT IN LOW DOESES BECAUSE SHE SUGGESTED TERRIER TREMORS UNTIL HE PRESENTED WITH OTHER PROBLEMS. THE SPECIALIST WANTS TO DO SOME RESEARCH AS HE SAID THAT TROSKI IS A DIFFICULT CASE. THERE IS SOME OTHER SYMPTONS THAT I FORGOT TO MENTION AND THAT IS SOMETIMES HE WILL HOLD ONE OF HIS PAWS IN THE AIR, NOT A PARTICULAR ONE BUT HE BEHAVES IN A WAY THAT THIS IS NORMAL AND WALKS AROUND ON THREE LEGS. HE ALSO BITES HIMSELF MAINLY AT THE BASE OF HIS SPINE AND HIS PAWS THERE IS NO INFECTIONS OR SORENESS. HE BEHAVES AS THOUGH HE CAN'T FEEL THE PAIN AS HE IS NOT GENTLE. HE HAS ALSO HAD TWO FITS LAST WEEK, HE ROLLED OVER ONTO HIS BACK WENT REALLY STIFF AN SHOOK VIOLENTLY. HE HAD ONE THEN ANOTHER ONE 10 MINUTES LATER. HE IS A RESCUE DOG SOUNDS LIKE A WEIRD QUESTION BUT IS IT POSSIBLE THAT HE COULD OF GOT SOME SORT OF A DISEASE FROM ANOTHER DOG? HE WAS BITTEN WHILST LIVING AT THE RESCUE CENTRE. I HAVE HAD HIM FOR ABOUT THREE MONTHS. JUST TRYING TO THINK OF ANYTHING AM SO DESPARATE INCASE SOMETHING HAPPENS TO HIM. ANY FURTHER IDEAS?

I don't think this sounds like an infectious problem that can have been transmitted from another dog - it sounds more like an individual disorder. I'm afraid I really can't come up with anything else, and I am a gp, not a neurologist. I think the stroids sound like a good idea though.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I WILL LET THE VET NO THIS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, I HAVE A TELEPHONE APPOINTMENT WITH HIM ON MONDAY FOR THE RESULTS OF THE SPINAL FLUID TESTS, I WILL MENTION THIS THEN. THANKYOU FOR YOUR HELP WITH THIS. I DO REALISETHE CONDITION IS A BIT STRANGE AND COMPLICATED. HAYLEY
You're very welcome, I would be very keen to hear how you get on with everything. Good Luck!