Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.

How can I treat nettle stings on a dogs paws please

How can I treat nettle stings on a dog's paws please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Andrea Roberts replied 8 years ago.

Hi there. Firstly, if the paws look very inflamed and sore, then you can apply something soothing to them, such as 'Calamine lotion'- this can be obtained from the chemist, and is very cooling for stings and bites- be sure she doesn't just lick it all off(although it will not hurt her if she ingests some by licking).

Secondly, you want to treat the inflammatory reaction that the nettle sting causes- it does this by causing the release of 'histamine' in the skin, so the best way to combat it is with an antihistamine- you can use Benadryl(diphenydramine) at 1mg/lb every 8hrs, or Zyrtec(cetirizine) at 0.5mg/lb every 24hrs.

To be honest, i'd try the antihistamines first, and if things start to settle, not bother with the lotion, as it will be messy!