KarenLVT
KarenLVT, Licensed Veterinary Technician
Experience:  19 years experience with nursing care, talking to clients, surgical asst., lab work, x-rays, etc.
7509913

my dog has a lump on his left paw its been like this for about

Customer Question

my dog has a lump on his left paw its been like this for about 3 weeeks
Category: Dog
Expert:  KarenLVT replied 6 years ago.

HI there. Sorry to hear that your dog has a lump on his paw.

Does it seem to be painful at all? Did they give him some medication or anything after the exam/xray?

It's hard for me to say what it could be without actually seeing it. Perhaps it could be a cyst or mass of some kind. Does it seem to be getting larger or staying the same? Is it soft or hard?

Please answer these quesitons so I can better help you.

Thanks!

Regards, KarenLVT

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it goes hard and soft um when i use him it seems toget smaller he had a yeast infectin and they thought that the lump could go with it
Expert:  KarenLVT replied 6 years ago.

Since you say it gets bigger and smaller, it's very likely that it is a cyst of some sort. Cysts are fluid filled pockets. Sometimes they seep and get smaller or burst open and bleed, then heal over and fill up again.

It can also be some type of foreign body in his foot. If you think it is painful to him, this might be what is going on.

But if it's not painful and it gets bigger and smaller, then it's most probably a cyst. Cysts can be filled with serum or other substances like sebum (Oily stuff that the skin naturally makes to keep skin from drying out), etc. The only way to treat it is to remove it surgically. If it's drained, it will only fill back up again. But if it's not bothering him and it's not constantly busting open and making a mess, and it's not growing larger and larger, then it's ok to leave it alone. And if it starts doing all the things I mentioned above, it will be time to talk to your vet about taking it off.

I hope this information helps you out. Let me know if I can help you further.

Regards, KarenLVT

Please choose ACCEPT if this helps you. Thanks!

Experience: 19 years experience with nursing care, talking to clients, surgical asst., lab work, x-rays, etc.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks um another thing one day this week he was limping then the next day he was fine but the lump is still there the vet did a Biopsy and found a yeast infection now how would you know if it was a cyst could i open it up a little?
Expert:  KarenLVT replied 6 years ago.

The only true way to know if it is a cyst is for the vet to take a sterile needle and see if anything can be taken out. With this, there is always a risk of infection within the cyst. (The needle can accidentally bring in bacteria from the skin that it is going through) I don't recommend that you try to open it up yourself, it can get infected and get much worse.

Another way is just to feel it. Is it soft and squishy? Does it get bigger, then smaller, then bigger again?

As I said, cysts don't usually cause pain, so it might just be the yeast infection that's hurting him each time he takes a step. Yeast between the toes can be quite painful, causing rawness and skin seepage and terrible irritation that can also lead to a bacterial infection on top of that. If you see his skin between the toes look like I described, that may be the reason and cause of his pain.

Another thing to check is when you touch the lump, does he react? Does it hurt when you try to feel it, etc.? If so, it may be something actually stuck in his foot, like a stick or splinter, etc. and this lump is the body's way of trying to get rid of it or make a softer cushion so the body can heal. x-rays won't show small splinters or anything like that, so this still may be a consideration. However, most in most of these instances, they burst open within a week or so.

I hate to tell you to go back to the vet again, because I know you're working hard to get it better without going through the expense again, but I really think that is the way to go if this is getting no better. It's already been 3-4 weeks now so I hope your vet can help you out quickly. If they have diagnosed yeast infection, I hope they gave you some sort of ointment or shampoo to treat his skin. If so, keep treating until it's all gone. If not, please call them back and let them know that the way they are treating at this time is not working and it'll get them on the right track to a different treatment plan.

Regards, KarenLVT