Dr.B, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Diplomate ACVIM (SAIM) - Internal Medicine Specialist

my dog was just bitten and scratched by a raccoon. I have

my dog was just bitten and scratched by a raccoon. I have washed the area thoroughly with soap and water, and her rabies shots are up to date. Is there anything else I should do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.B replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your post. I am glad to hear that your dog isn't too bad off after her tryst with the racoon.

Even though her rabies vaccination is up to date, I would recommend that you take her in to your family veterinarian for a booster of her Rabies vaccine.

Raccoons are a large reservoir for rabies, and although your dog is probably protected, any time there is increased risk of exposure the recommendation is to booster the vaccine.

If the raccoon is dead, you should submit it to your local health department for rabies testing.

Best wishes
Please press Accept if you find my answer helpful. Want more info? Just reply on your question!
Bonuses for good work are always appreciated!
Thanks for the opportunity to help you!