Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Why does my dogs bath water look bloody when I rinse her

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the question Katie.

There would be a number of possible reasons for this :

1. If your dog has a significant number of fleas then this could be the reason. As a flea is a blood sucking insect its droppings are mainly dried blood and when the droppings get wet they will turn red. If I want to know if a dog has fleas then I put any black specks I find on its skin on to moist cotton wool and they will quickly turn the cotton wool red.

2. It could be that your dog has a dermatitis which is producing small scabs and these are colouring the water.

3. The red colour could be related to the shampoo you are using and could be some colouring agent. The next time you wash your dog use a different brand and see if it still happens.

If the red colour is indeed blood this would be quite an unusual situation so it would be wise to have your dog checked out by your vet just to be on the safe side.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS