LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

my dog was just diagnosed with laxity in both stifles and trauma

my dog was just diagnosed with laxity in both stifles and trauma to cruciate ligaments, compression of cranial nerve.

Please give some more information.

What breed, size, sex and age is your dog?

What signs of stifle laxity is it showing?

How was this diagnosed?

How was trauma (rupture???) of the cruciate ligaments diagnosed?

What are the signs of cranial nerve compression?

Was trauma involved?

Cruciate ligament damage and cranial nerve compression should not be related.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She is a 5 year old black lab at 87 pounds. I had taken her to the vet because she was limping and showing obvious signs of pain. This is exactly what the vet wrote in her notes.

"Kara Bear presented for pain and limping of rear feet. Upon exam she appeared to be walking on glass with rear feet. The dog was sedated pelvic rads: mild hip dysplsia Lateral rad of left and right stifles: no path. Laxity exhibited in both stifles, left more so than right
r/o: trauma to crutiate ligaments, compression of cranial nerve.

She used to be 104 pounds when she was two-three years of age. We have since had her on Hills r/d formula with much success. She was a huge fan of catching frisbee which I think may have also played a part.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are you still checking?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
have not seen a response, are you still looking into this?

Yes, I am still checking. I tried to get this written before you went off line, but didn't make it. I will be away for several hours and back again after that and available to help.

Dogs love frisbee and it may well be the number one cause of cruciate injury. If the cruciate is torn, surgery is the best treatment. It is expensive and medical treatment will allow the dog to live comfortably is surgery is not feasible.

Surgical repair is followed by 8-12 weeks of restricted activity. Medical treatment requires life long attention to making sure she gets exercise, but doesn't do any jumping or fast running and turning.

It will take longer than 6 days to see significant improvement for cruciate injury. Pain control should be rapid, within a week. Gait abnormality may not improve without surgery. Limping or favoring one side is likely to remain, but should improve over several months.

Cranial nerves are those that go to the head and face.

Abnormal gait can be due to pain/arthritis or neurologic disease. Balance and movement are coordinated in the cerebellum. lesions in this part of the brain produce proprioception (positional) abnormalities, weakness, stumbling , falling, spastic movement, etc.

The walking on eggs (glass) could be due to a central (brain or spinal cord) lesion or it could be due to pain. This is what your vet meant b y f/o cruciate vs cranial nerve compression. My guess is that s/he meant to write spinal nerve compression rather than restricting it to the actual cranial nerves. Given the laxity of the stifles, pain at that level is likely.

Follow-up diagnostic testing might answer questions on the actual source..... or might not. Contrast x'rays, MRI or referral to a specialist (orthopedics, neurology) would be a good way to go if you are interested in follow up diagnostics. Using a specialist gets you the imaging studies and the specialists expertise. Your vet should know who is in your area.