weisdvm
weisdvm, Veterinarian
Experience:  9 years experience
12551598

My great Danes hind legs are collapsing. My vet says it is

My great Dane's hind legs are collapsing. My vet says it is a degeneration of the spinal nerve and is teating it with monthly cotisone injections and vitamin B6. He is 10 years old and is invery good condition. He has no arthritis but has slight hip displassia. Is there anything more I should be doing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  weisdvm replied 8 years ago.
Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear that your Great Dane is suffering from degenerative myelopathy. This occurs as the white matter around the spinal cord degenerates. The cause of this is unknown. Symptoms typically are weakness of the hind limbs, atrophy of the muscles and knuckling on the paws or taking "scissor steps". There is no published data that any treatment is effective. Some veterinarians try anything from cortisone to vitamin E and special amino acids. Walking and swimming activity is strongly recommended for these dogs. As it is a progressive disease, we often see dogs reach a point where they are no longer able to rise on their own and can even have fecal or urinary incontinence.

Great job on taking such good care of your Great Dane! Good luck!