DrLucy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Almost 30 yr as a practicing small animal vet.; experience in gen.medicine, surgery, emerg/

My older dog is on Rimadyl-Carprofen 75 mg & Tramadol HCL 50mg.

Customer Question

My older dog is on Rimadyl-Carprofen 75 mg & Tramadol HCL 50mg. Which one is for pain?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrLucy replied 8 years ago.
Rimadyl is a non-steroidal antiinflammatory drug, sometimes known as an NSAID. Like ibuprofen (which, by the way, should NOT be used in dogs or cats), it reduces both inflammation and pain. Tramadol is specifically for pain control and acts differently in the body from an NSAID. They are often used together to increase the level of pain control.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How much or often of the Tramadol can I give him?
Expert:  DrLucy replied 8 years ago.

The dose for his size (which I assume is 70 - 80 lb) would be 50 mg, 3 times a day. It might be OK to give him more, but I would not want to suggest that without knowing him. It would be better to check with his own vet about that.