LennyDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  30 years as owner of a mobile practice treating dogs, cats, horses and other pets.

shi-tzu..had 2 back surgeries and pancreatitis..glucose..injections

I have a 7 year old shi-tzu who has had 2 back surgeries and pancreatitis and now has come down with diabetes with a glucose reading of 338. I am giving injections at home (3 units twice a day and would like to know if there are any preventive measures I can take to prevent blindsness??? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LennyDVM replied 8 years ago.

Cataracts are common in diabetic dogs. The best preventative is getting the glucose into a normal range with insulin. However, tight control of glucose is difficult in dogs.

Cataract surgery in routinely done by veterinary ophthalmologists and is the best option for restoring vision if cataracts occur.

Let me know if you have follow up questions.