Dr.B
Dr.B, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Diplomate ACVIM (SAIM) - Internal Medicine Specialist
12484134

What are the side effects after receiving an injection of Polyflex.

What are the side effects after receiving an injection of Polyflex. My dog is 9.2 pounds and has received 2 injections of Polyflex over a 3 day period. She has also received subcutananeous fluid injections over a 3 day period and is very lethargic and will not eat or drink. After recieving the injections, she just lays around and barely moves, just a constant cough. She's being treated for kennel cough. Please help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.B replied 8 years ago.

Hi Lyla,

I am sorry to hear that you lilttle dog is not feeling well.

Polyflex is an injectable ampicillin, and the most common side effect is pain at the injection site.

I am worried that more than kennel cough is going on with your dog. Kennel cough ususally doesn't result in inappatence and lethargy. Your dog should be pretty normal other than a hacking cough.

It is possible that the kennel cough has progressed to pneumonia, which would be consistent with some of the signs you describe.

I think you should take your dog to someplace that has 24 hour care. She could probably benefit from IV fluids and nutritional support. She may need more test to determine what is going on with her.

If you like, I am happy to help you find a referral center in your area.

Best of luck and let me know how I can help.

__________________
Please press Accept if you find my answer helpful. Want more info? Just reply on your question!
Bonuses for good work are always appreciated!
Thanks for the opportunity to help you!