Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

Is it safe to use a childs stool softener for my dog My dog

Is it safe to use a child's stool softener for my dog? My dog is 6 years old and weighs about 16 lbs. I was thinking of trying the Pedia-Lax strips. I was planning to use 1/2 strip.

When a dog is having hard stools we usually will use something Natural, like some canned Pumpkin which is high Fiber. Antother product that is used for dogs is Metamucil at the discreation of your Vet. This is also a natural fiber supplement that will help with constipation. I would not suggest using a stool softener unless the Vet has suggested it. The canned pumpkin is very effective and usually very well tolerated. The link below is about the Metamucil being used. Whenever any medication is considered, your Vet should be consulted first. Joan