Dr. Marcia
Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience

is peanut butter harmful to dogs

Customer Question

is peanut butter harmful to dogs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marcia replied 5 years ago.

Cindy, thank you for your excellent question!

I have never really question the safety of peanut butter for dogs, and it is commonly used for a treat for dogs. We often recommend it to help with giving pills, or to put inside a toy for the dog to lick at and keep itself occupied.

But to be sure there are no problems with peanut butter, I did a search on the Veterinary Information Network, the online community of vets, and no, peanut butter is not considered harmful. Peanut allergies have not been recognized in dogs. Of course severe peanut allergies are widely recognized in people, but dogs do not seem to have this problem.

Certainly an allergic reaction is possible to anything, but if your dogs have shown no problems with the peanut butter up until now, I would not be concerned about allergies.

Another concern with any dietary item is that it could upset a dog's stomach (vomiting, diarrhea, gas, loose stools, loss of appetite, etc.) But if you have not seen this I would also not be concerned.

If you are using peanut butter as a treat, in small amounts, there is no problem with continuing to do so if your dogs tolerate it well. The type of peanut butter is more of a preference issue, they should be okay with any type.

Thank you and I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions! Dr. Marcia

Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you doctor and I will keep you as my vet on line; just one fast concern on peanut butter for dogs -- I read in a forum that it is the "sugar" that is harmful to their urinary track -- please excuse mis spellings

Cindy, thank you for your quick response and "accept!"

I have not heard of this sugar concern with peanut butter. There are of course all kinds of anecdotal reports on the internet of certain foods/ingredients being bad or good for your pet in one way or another. There may be some truth to it, but I know of no scientific basis for that. High sugar in the urine can lead to urinary tract infections; but unless a dog is diabetic they should have no sugar in their urine in any case.

Peanut butter is typically a treat and given in small quantities, so it should be no problem. However, if you feel more comfortable, use the sugar free variety as I'm sure your dogs will love it in any case!

does that help? Thank you again! Dr. Marcia

(*you do not need to hit accept again as your account will be charged again! Thanks!)