Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Dog has no appetite, losing weight, diarrhea, edema in legs

Customer Question

Dog has no appetite, losing weight, diarrhea, edema in legs and face, low protein, blood in urine, enlarged spleen. No obivious mass found in abd. ultrasound, chest x-ray looked good. Clotting fators are normal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 years ago.
I don't know of tick borne diseases that cause the low protein, and the low protein is probably the cause of the edema. I would be looking for cancer and IBD, but with low protein and diarrhea I would also be looking for a condition called lymphangectasia, Have never seen it in a Boxer, but it is possible. It is a condition where the lining of the intestine leaks fluid and protein into the intestine. I am sure your specialist thought of this, but you could ask.

I would also do a test called UPCR on the urine,to see if the loss of protein is in the urine. Back to the tick thing (and this is a bit of a stretch), Lyme disease can cause kidney damage, which can cause protein to leak into the urine, and cause the low protein and the blood in the urine. So I guess I wouldn't say no to the tick question after all. I would ask your internal medicine specialist about all of this. Good Luck, Rebecca