Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

My dog died from congestive heart failure last week and I just

Customer Question

My dog died from congestive heart failure last week and I just need to know if he suffered or was in extreme pain. I'm having an extremely hard time coping with his loss and just need to know this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news about your dog, and please accept my heartfelt condolences on your loss.

Can you tell me more about your dog and the circumstances of his passing?

How old was he?

Were you aware that he had congestive heart failure, or was this diagnosed right before, or after he passed? Did he have any symptoms and was he on medication?

Did he pass away at home, or at the vet's? Were you there at the time?

Was a necropsy (autopsy for animals) performed?

Thanks for any additional detail.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Cher,

This was diagnosed after he had passed and I was not aware that he had congestive heart failure. He died at home. I was with him at the time of death. He was 8 years old and there was no necropsy performed after his death.

Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

Congestive heart failure and other heart conditions are not uncommon causes of death in older dogs. I'm glad you were able to be with him when he passed and your presence comforted him. He did not suffer or experience severe pain when this happened. His heart just gave out from the CHF, and since it was undiagnosed, there was nothing you could have done to prevent it.

I understand what a difficult time this is for you, and perhaps this will help ease your grief in some small way:

I know you will always carry him with you in your heart, forever, and your cherished memories, photos, and good times, will help you get through this most difficult time.

Again, my sincerest condolences.