Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder

what is the flesh colored bump on my labs head

what is the flesh colored bump on my labs head?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Donna P. replied 8 years ago.

Could I get a little more information?

How old is the dog?

How long has the lump been there?

Is the dog acting fine otherwise?

Does it seem to bother the dog?

Donna P.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Java is almost 10 yrs.
the lump started very small about 5 months ago, I thought it was a scab & picked it.
Then it slowly got bigger and flesh colored and hair quit growing in that small spot. It's a little bigger than a pea now.

Yes, Java is fine otherwise and it doesn't bother him when I leave it alone.
I give him glucos. & condr. and if he
hunts with me or is otherwise more active I'll sometimes give him a doggie asprin.

thank you,
Java & his Mom
Expert:  Donna P. replied 8 years ago.

Hello again,

Although more common in dogs that are younger, this could be a histiocytoma. This is a round hairless pinkish growth that continues to grow for several months and eventually gets smaller and goes away. Here are some links to more information.

Because Java is a little older and it has been there for several months already - it may also be a more dangerous type of lump. These can range from warty-type growth to more invasive tumors. There are many different types - here is another link to some of the different causes of lumps and bumps.

Any time a lump is growing and changing it is recommended to have it removed. A lump that is above the skin should be fairly easily removed -and may even be able to be frozen during an office visit. I would suggest having it examined by a veterinarian.

Donna P.

_____________If this was helpful, please click ACCEPT___________________

thank you.