Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your Yorkie, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.
When did she eat the chocolate fudge? How many ounces do you think it was?
When did she start vomiting?
Is she hyperactive, or trembling at all now?
I am originally from Windsor, Ontario and now live in Oregon. It is 10 minutes to 5 in the morning here and I estimate that she ate it at around 2:30 a.m. She woke me up at 3 a.m. being hyper, running around playing with her 4 month old puppy. (I don't think the puppy ate any of it.) It's hard to tell how many ounces, but maybe each piece weighed an ounce or more...so it's a big guess that maybe 3-5 oz. total. She vomited small amounts around 3:30 a.m. Then I gave her the charcoal and she vomited a huge amount around 4 a.m. She is now quiet and resting. She got up a few minutes ago and drank water and is now resting again.
I live in Dundas, ON, not that far from Windsor! (But pretty far from Oregon).
Ok, so she ate it at 2:30 and vomited it up at 4am - PHEW!! And you have activated charcoal. Is it capsules? What strength?
And no further vomiting since 4am?
I notice you are not planning any winter visits out this way! LOL!!
Ok, there are 2 issues with eating fudge: the chocolate and the high fat level in this meal. I am SO happy that she vomited about 1.5 hours after eating it!!
When I see a dog that has eaten chocolate, if it was within the last 2 hours, I would induce vomiting immediately using 3% hydrogen peroxide at 2 tsp per 10lbs (so use 2 teaspoons for a 10lb dog). You can repeat after 10 minutes if there is no vomit. Here is more about how:
And some hints to make it work better:
1. Feed a small meal or slice of bread first - they are more likely to vomit with some food in the stomach.
2. Dogs will often drink peroxide if you mix it 50:50 with milk or ice cream, and it is just as effective.
3. Dogs are more likely to vomit after getting hydrogen peroxide if they move around - play ball, go for a walk, run up and down stairs - as this heightens the fizzing.
4. Always check the expiration date of the peroxide. If it is old it doesn't fizz very well!
If you are not sure if she vomited it all up, it may still be worth inducing vomiting to get out any that is still in ther. It is hard to say as I don't know how the vomit compares to what she ate in volume. Definitely it is better to get it out!!
Symptoms are expected to start as the dog absorbs the chocolate. The symptoms would start with vomiting, diarrhea, and hyperactivity. Next would come excessive drinking and urinating, followed by lethargy, rapid heart rate and arrhythmias, seizures, coma and death.
Here is a table of chocolate toxicity:
Amount of Milk Chocolate
Amount of Unsweetened Chocolate
Approx. MG of Theobromide
2 1/2 oz.
1 1/4 lbs.
3 3/4 oz.
2 1/2 lbs.
4 1/2 oz.
5 1/2 oz.
3 3/4 lbs.
6 3/4 oz.
4 3/4 lbs.
8 1/2 oz.
Unfortunately, the darker the chocolate the greater the potential for toxicity.
Here is more about it:
Anything over 45 mg/ kg of theobromide is potentially life threatening, and seizures can be seen as low as 60 mg/ kg. Heart problems are expected at doses greater than 50 mg/ kg.
The other issue is the fat content of the fudge. A high fat meal can cause pancreatitis.
Pancreatitis can be caused by a number of things, such as certain medications, infections (bacteria can climb up into the pancreas from the intestines), high fat meals (this is how eating chocolate causes this problem as it is high in fat), high amounts of calcium in the blood, trauma and shock (for example it can happen after a dog is hit by a car). Some dogs are more prone to pancreatitis than other dogs with small dogs being more susceptible.
Typically, the symptoms of pancreatitis are abdominal pain, fever, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and a very painful belly. These symptoms would develop about 12- 36h after eating that high fat meal.
Bloodwork that confirms pancreatitis shows very high levels of amylase and lipase. These are 2 enzymes that the pancreas makes and delivers to the intestines to help digest food. With high fat meals, the pancreas has to work extra-hard to make these, and this can cause it to actually start digesting itself. This is very painful!
Generally, pancreatitis is treated aggressively with intravenous fluids, intravenous antibiotics, pain killers and resting the intestinal tract. This last means that NO food is given by mouth until symptoms start to resolve. Then, once the pancreatitis is starting to resolve, we usually start the patient with just water and see if that stays down. If there is no vomiting or abdominal pain, we then start *very* small meals of an easy to digest, low fat food and monitor closely.
For long-term management, patients who are prone to pancreatitis are kept on a low fat diet to minimize chances of a flare-up. Antibiotics are continued for 1-2 weeks, as well as other medications as needed (such as anti-nausea medications).
I will give you some links to more information:
After making your dog vomit again, wait 30 min and then do repeat the activated charcoal. I would give her about 4 of those capsules if you can! It is widely used in human and veterinary medicine to bind up any toxins that have been ingested.
Here are some links about activated charcoal:
Activated charcoal binds with the drug in the intestines to prevent absorption. You could mix the product in a little bit of human baby food (check the ingredients to be sure there are no onions or garlic), or with some cooked white rice. I would avoid milk as some dogs have trouble digesting it. A piece of bread would be ok, or even some yogourt (NO artificial sweeteners).
Then, apart from trying to get the activated charcoal into her, I would suggest the following:
1. WITH-HOLD FOOD for 6- 12 hours since she has been vomiting today. This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.
2. When she is fasting, she can have lots of clear fluids. So, water is fine, but also she can have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 2 tablespoons every 30min.
3. After 6-12 hours, you can start your dog back on a bland diet. For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 2-3 tablespoons every 3 to 4 hours.
4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal dog food. So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.
5. Keep your girl as quiet as possible today - just out to relieve herself and back in.
If she continues to vomit on Sunday, has abdominal pain, is lethargic, or is in any way deteriorating, then I would certainly encourage you to see your veterinarian or an emergency vet if your vet is not open! If this has been helpful, please click on accept and leave feedback. If you need more information, just click on reply!
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Best wishes, Fiona
I love the fall too - so beautiful right now, bright orange, red, yellow leaves, and they haven't quite started to fall yet, so the trees are covered in them, and when you look at the Niagara escarpment near us, it looks like a patchwork quilt! And the smell of leaves in the crisp morning air is so refreshing!
I don't blame you for avoiding winter! LOL!!
If you could click on Accept, that would be great, as otherwise I am not credited for giving you an answer. :-) I'll still be available if you need further information! You can reply to this thread at any time!
YIPPPPPEEEEE!!! Oh, you would never think anyone could be so happy about dog vomit!! I am so glad she is now "empty" and you got the last of the chocolate out! GREAT NEWS!
You must be exhausted by now - I hope after giving her the charcoal you are going to be able to go back to bed!
Thank you for accepting my answer Judy!