Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My dog has a strange wart-like growth on her paw between her

Customer Question

My dog has a strange wart-like growth on her paw between her pads. I would like to send a couple photos. Can you help? Thank you Beth
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

To upload a picture use the Tree Icon in the tool bar . This will allow me to see the pictures. Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

I did not want you to wait, so I wanted to give you some information on my suspicions of what you are seeing. I believe what your baby has is called an Interdigital Cyst.

This is usually caused by a deep tissue pyoderma or infection in the tissues between the toes. It is usually treated with oral antibitics as well as topical treatments. It would be wise to have your baby checked out by the Vet to properly diagnose an treat this problem. There are certain breeds of dogs that are predisposed to this problem. I am going to give you a link to read about this problem and it's treatments. Joan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Daisys pawpawgrowth
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Can I cut it off myself?

Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

The pictures did not upload, so I could not see them.

This actually occurred because of an infection. This is not something that can just be cut off. This needs to be treated with an antibiotic by a Vet. If you were to cut this off It could spread and cause more of a problem for Daisy. Joan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks Joan.

The growth does not look at all like an interdigital cyst. There is no inflammation or pain. I have tried to do some web search to research the problem and I can not find anything that matches this problem. . Daisy often has yeast infections on her paws from constant licking. It looks like a cutaneous wart-like horn. i will take her to the vet to have it removed .