Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

How can I stop a neighbor from harassing me about my dogs

Customer Question

I am a professional pet sitter and I have 15 dogs. I had a new neighbor move in next door a little over a year ago. In that time he has called Gwinnett County Animal Control on me three times due to noise ordinance infractions. Each time the Animal Control came out they inspected, observed and never wrote me a citation for any violation. I also have a Georgia Department of Ag. liscense for my dogs and I am inspected semi-annually.

My dogs are in by 8:30pm and go out at 8:00am well within county ordinances. Usually, they are excited by the neighbor's (the one I am having the problem with) 8 month old Retriever. This poor dog is left outside all day and all night. Very little interaction from his people and is lonley so he runs the fence for anywhere between 30-45 min. saying hello to my dogs.

I am afraid that this is going affect my business. Do you have any suggestions? Please help!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.

I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem with your comparatively new neighbor.

Since the neighbor's puppy doesn't seem to be treated well by HIS owner, being left outside all day and all night, with little human interaction, have you considered calling Animal Control re: what sounds akin to animal abuse by your neighbor? Every time they came out to your home and found no infractions for which to issue any citations, was the neighbor's puppy outside barking, etc., and if so, did they notice?

In any case, I'd first try to speak to the neighbor, and be exceedingly nice, explaining that this is your business, you're inspected semi-annually, no violations have ever been found, and every time he calls Animal Control, there's no reason for them to issue a citation; however, you're quite concerned about HIS puppy's welfare, as he's outside all the time, and doesn't seem happy. Don't make any threats, just mention it. If he continues to be nasty about the whole thing, call Animal Control to see if HIS dog is being properly cared for.

From your description of the situation, it seems that you are not breaking the law, in any way, shape or form, as evident from the visits by Animal Control and no issuance of citations.

If he continues to harass you, you might consider seeking legal advice.

I hope everything works out well for you and your dogs, and that this poor puppy is given a better life than the one he has now!

Cher
Experience: Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello again, and you're most welcome! Thanks very much for your accept and most generous bonus.

I apologize, but your 'already tried' information was not visible to me when I answered your question. The fact that this neighbor is harassing you only when your husband is away (God bless! I pray he comes home safely!) shows he's even a worse person than originally thought!

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any attorneys in your area, but if you would like more of a legal opinion on your situation, I can transfer your question to our Legal Category. Please let me know if you'd like me to do that.

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Cher,

I have tried a legal attorney on your site. Thanks for all of the encouragement and yes, this guy is a coward to the 10th degree. Please keep up the great work and I thank you for your help.

Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and you're so welcome! Thanks for your reply.

I didn't realize you had already contacted an attorney in our legal category. Look in your Yellow Pages under Attorneys/Lawyers, and see if you can find one who specializes in animal or dog cases. Also, call your local legal aid office and ask if they might have a lawyer who can help you with this.

I wish you the best of luck!

Cher (do NOT click accept again, as you will be prompted to)