How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Rosie Brown Your Own Question
Dr Rosie Brown
Dr Rosie Brown, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 181
Experience:  16 years experience in small animal practice. Dog obedience and agility trainer.
11851826
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Rosie Brown is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband just sprayed a bit of WD-40 on our door hinges.

Customer Question

My husband just sprayed a bit of WD-40 on our door hinges. I caught my yorkie pup licking the hinge afterward. I notice on the can it says harmful or fatal if swallowed. I don't really think she got much of it. What do you recommend I do? Will she be ok?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer
You need to contact a specialist in veterinary toxicology immediately. You can reach one at the following number:

1-800-213-6680.
This is the Pet Poison Helpline.

They also have a website at:
www.petpoisonhelpline.com

There is a charge for this service, but I think that it is money well spent, since the toxicologist will be able to tell you without a doubt if your dog is in any danger, and what you need to do next.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and that your pet is okay. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am aware of the poison control hotline. I emailed you to avoid the $60 fee. So, unfortunately, your response was not helpful.

Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry that I couldn't help you more directly. But with a serious poisoning possibility like this one, the safest thing to do is to speak with someone who actually can give you the absolute correct answer of what you need to do in this situation. Unfortunately, they do charge a consultation fee for that service which I cannot help. I simply gave you the best medical advice that I could. I am sorry that you were not satisfied.

I hope that your dog is okay,

Dr. K

P.S.--I will opt out so that someone else can try to give you an answer that you were looking for.
Expert:  Dr Rosie Brown replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />
Dr K is right, it's always a good idea to speak to a poisons specialist if you're concerned. However, if you'd rather not do that, then here is a link to detailed information on the ingredients in WD-40:

http://www.wd40.com.au/msds.html

If you read the MSDS (I think that means material safety data sheet) it tells you that the ingredients are primarily petroleums and paraffins. The main threat to life is through respiratory failure, so if your dog has any signs at all of respiratory distress, you need to see your vet as soon as you can. If not, then watch for signs of irritation to the mouth and gastrointestinal tract, such as salivation, licking the lips, or vomiting. Again, if they occur, get in touch with your vet for treatment.

I hope all goes well with your little girl.

Rosie

Dr Rosie Brown, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 181
Experience: 16 years experience in small animal practice. Dog obedience and agility trainer.
Dr Rosie Brown and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you