Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

can dogs take flexiril

can dogs take flexiril?
No, flexeril is not safe for dogs. They do not tolerate this medicine well, and it is not indicated at all for veterinary use.

I hope that this information is of help to you. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can you please tell me if there is any safe medicine that I can gvie to him for the muscle strain?
Is your dog limping?
If so, on what leg is he limping, and for how long has this been going on?
How old is he?
Is he currently on any medications?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes he is limping, its his left hind leg and its been going on for about 2 days now, he is a 10 yrs old chow mix and he is currently taking thyroid medicine.
I cannot recommend that you give your dog any over-the-counter medication without seeing him and having a doctor/patient relationship. I also would not start your dog on any medications without first talking to your veterinarian, because he is on a chronic medical treatment for hypothyroidism. You may see on-line, many references to giving dogs buffered aspirin, and this is technically the only "safe" OTC painkiller to give to dogs.
I do not generally recommend aspirin for dogs, as most dogs find it difficult to tolerate. It commonly causes gastric bleeding ulcers, and many dogs will start vomiting and stop eating soon after taking it. Furthermore, when you then go to the vet because the dog is not feeling better, the aspirin that was given may make it impossible for the vet to give a more effective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory as they will interact negatively with one another.
If your dog has been limping for just a couple of days, you can visit the veterinarian for a more appropriate and effective and pain control medication such as Rimadyl or Previcox. If your dog has been limping for 5 days or more, he/she should have X-rays of the affected limb. There are many different causes for chronic limping, including osteoarthritis, torn ligaments, hip dysplasia, bone cancer, Lyme disease and neurologic disease.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K