Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

my dog has a gray looking film over one eye

Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Chris,

So this film is more of a mucous on the eye and not a cloudiness of the eye?
Is the white part of the eye bloodshot?
Is there a yellowish or greenish tint to the film?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
mucous I guess since we can wipe it away. I think it is bloodshot. I would call it a greenish tint.
Hi Chris,

If sounds as if your dog has developed conjunctivitis, commonly known as pink eye.

You can clean the pus off your dog's eye with a warm washcloth. You can also flush your dog's eye with sterile saline solution like contact lens wearer’s use.   Your vet will have to be consulted in order to get some medicine for your dog. Frequently an antibiotic eye drop is given for this condition. Sometimes Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment is used for these problems.

You can read more about canine conjunctivitis here.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1606&articleid=251

Canine conjunctivitis is a common eye problem. It can happen by itself or indicate an underlying problem. Finding the underlying problem can prevent future bouts with conjunctivitis. Underlying conditions that can cause conjunctivitis is KCS (dry eye, insufficient tear production, upper respiratory diseases such as kennel cough. Usually with respiratory infections there will also be coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge, fever, lethargy and loss of appetite. Conjunctivitis can also be cause by a foreign object in the eye or chronic irritation from a development problem of the eyelid and lashes where the lashes rub constantly against the cornea.

I hope this information is helpful to you.