ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training

my dog is peeing alot over the past two days

Is your dog urinating more often or is it larger amounts when going?

any changes in eating/drinking habits?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
she is peeing small amounts each time...her eating habits really havent changed....she eats every night, beneful dog food......the water bowl is still pretty full as well

Thanks for replying.

This is often due to a urinary tract infection. The bacteria causes inflammation in the bladder, which triggers a signal to the brain that the dog needs to urinate with a full bladder, even though technically the bladder has not had enough time to fill up.

A urinary tract infection can often easily be treated with a round of antibiotics, but it is not something to put off treating for too long, as it is very uncomfortable for the dog and can eventually lead to either kidney infections or chronic cystitis.

Your vet will want to check a fresh urine sample to determine which type of bacteria is causing this and if crystals or casts are present, then choose the proper antibiotic for curing. Until then, encourage plenty of fresh water intake to help cut back on irritation.

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further.