Candy W.
Candy W., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7+ years in general veterinary medicine

What is the per pound dosage for using ivermectin 1% for proventing

Customer Question

What is the per pound dosage for using ivermectin 1% for proventing heardworms in dogs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy W. replied 8 years ago.

What breed of dog are you planning on using it on?

How much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have 3 dogs. All mixed breeds. Two of them weigh 20 pounds and 1 weighs 82 pounds.
Expert:  Candy W. replied 8 years ago.

Well you can't use ivermectin on collie breeds or mixed collie breeds, like collie, border collie, etc. It is an off label use of the drug and very difficult to dose. Small dogs are especially difficult. It is better to buy Heartgard or generic heartworm preventatives. They also have medications for intestinal worms.

But a 20# XXXXX would get 0.054cc and 80# XXXXX would get 0.22cc.

So you can see it is very easy to overdose a small dog and it can lead to death. Here is a website that talks about ivermectin toxicity.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Candy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry, but your answer didn't help much. I have asked the same question to 3 different people and gotten 3 different answers.
Expert:  Candy W. replied 8 years ago.
You wanted the dose for ivermectin. There are a few different doses out there. I was giving it for your individual dogs weight, but the dose per pound is ...oh hold on. That is the amount of milligrams they need. See it is easy to overdose them. I have to actually calculate it out for each animal. All you have to is divide that amount by 10 and then you have the correct dosage for heartworm prevention. But the dose I used is 0.006mg/kg. So a 20 pound dog is 9.09killograms. You multiply that times 0.006mg/kg and you get0.054mg. Then you take the concentration of your ivermectin, which is 10mg/ml. So you divide 0.054ml by 10 and get 0.0054ml needed for your 20 pound dog.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You told me, in your previous answer, that I needed .054ml for my 20# XXXXX I guess I need to ask someone else. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Candy W. replied 8 years ago.

Yes, and then I caught my mistake. I forgot to take into consideration your concentration of ivermectin.

So a 20 pound dog would get 0.0054ml (which is an extremely small amount)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have also been told to use .1cc/20# XXXXX .1cc/10lbs.
Expert:  Candy W. replied 8 years ago.

Oh you can use higher doses, but it is much more likely to have side effects, especially if you have a breed that you aren't sure is a collie or mix. The dose I use to treat sarcoptic mange is 0.1cc per 10 pounds and most dogs should be able to handle that, but is a huge overdose if only using to prevent heartworms.

Also if your dog already has heartworms and you give that higher dose, you dog can have a reaction that can be lethal. So you would definitely want to make sure they are heartworm negative before giving those higher doses. The lower doses, like what I told you, are usually safe even in heartworm positive dogs. That is why you can usually give Heartgard to heartworm positive dogs, but there is still a chance of having a reaction. That is why most vets who give a heartworm positive dog a heartworm prevention will monitor them for the day at the clinic.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

My dosgs were just at the vet and they are definately heartworm free. So maybe the

0.1cc/20 pounds would be an ok dose.

Expert:  Candy W. replied 8 years ago.

It will probably be ok as long as they are not a ivermectin sensitive breed.

Just remember it is an off label use of the drug, so if something does happen, then the company that makes the ivermectin will not be responsible. I would watch them for a few hours after you give that dose just to be on the safe side.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
None of them have any collie etc. I am sure. Thanks for your help.