Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog gets car sick can I give him dramamine he weighs 45

My dog gets car sick can I give him dramamine he weighs 45 pounds.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

Are you wanting to give this to him for all short trip or one long trip?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
trip to school 4 miles away and then home again
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have to leave in 5 minutes it is 8:32 now. Thanks for your help if you could send tips and info [email protected] it would be greatly appreciated. I will watch for another couple minutes. Julie
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for that information,

while you can give a dog dramamine it is not without side effects and should not be used for frequent short trips. I will direct you to a site that goes over side effects and dosing.

You may also want to talk to your vet about using the drug ACE . You can read about it here.

It may help for you to get her better used to the car by doing it in small increments.

for example, for a few days bring her to the car and let her sit in it without starting it, then for a few days let her sit in it, start the car but don't go anywhere, then for a few days just drive up and down the driveway, then go a little further up the strret, etc. With each session make sure something fun happens at the end like a walk , playing ball etc. so she starts to associate the car with fun things happening.