Dr. Marcia
Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience
10807259

my english bulldog has severe diarrhea for the last week. We

my english bulldog has severe diarrhea for the last week. We took him to the vet however nothing came back in his stool sample and we were given medicine but it doesnt seem to be helping at all. What do we do from here?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marcia replied 6 years ago.

Hello, thank you for your question!

can you tell me..

1) any other symptoms besides diarrhea? (such as vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargic, etc.

2) How long has the diarrhea been occurring?

3) What medication were you given?

4) How old is your bulldog? Any other health concerns?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

he doesnt have any other symptoms. It has been persistant now for about a week and a half. and it is every time he uses the bathroom.

we were given aldon 500 mg 2 times a day and methonizide or something like that and its 500 mg 1 pill a day.

He is 7 months old and has no other problems.

Hello, thanks for the additional information. The medications you were prescribed are common treatments for diarrhea.

The albon is an antibiotic that also treats a parasite called coccidia, usually more of an issue younger puppies.

The other medication is probably metronidazole. This helps in many cases of diarrhea, as it treats for bacterial imbalance and also treats for a parasite called giardia.

The fact you are getting no response could be for a few reasons, which I will mention:

1) Has your dog ever been fasted during his treatment for diarrhea? This is one of the most critical components with diarrhea and often makes a big difference. Diarrhea is like a vicious cycle, and if they keep eating, it keeps adding fuel to the fire. A 24 hour fast from food is often needed to "break the cycle" that is occurring (no food, water only). This gives the gut a chance to rest and heal. Then ideally when food is reintroduced, a bland diet, such as boiled hamburger and rice, is used for several days as this is very easy and gentle on the gut. If you have not done a fasting protocol yet, I would advise doing that while continuing the medications (if he is still taking them).

2) If fasting is also not helping, and these meds have not helped, then it's time to look at other causes of diarrhea. This usually involves a step-by-step process of elimination as to possible causes of diarrhea.

Although parasite eggs were not seen on the fecal exam, it doesn't mean there are no parasites. Fecal exams are not 100% diagnostic. So the next step would be a good round of broad spectrum dewormer, such as panacur.

If no response to that, we need to thing about other causes of diarrhea in young dogs, such as pancreas or intestinal issues. For example, some dogs do not produce enough pancreatic enzymes, leading to chronic diarrhea. There is blood testing that can check into that type of possilbility.

Fecal cultures and specialized fecal tests can also be done at a outside lab to look for more unusual causes of diarrhea.

Blood testing to check all internal functions are also a good idea, as diarrhea can be secondary to disease elsewhere. In a dog this young, one has to consider congenital defects, such as a liver shunt.

I am sure this diarrhea is very frustrating to say the least. I hope that these suggestions give you some more ideas as to how to pursue this. These can be very challenging cases and require a lot of patience as the vet works to find the specific cause.

Please let me know if you have more questions. Thank you, XXXXX

Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience