Dr. Marcia
Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience

Maltese is 7 years old... teeth are falling out. He can no

Customer Question

Maltese is 7 years old... teeth are falling out. He can no longer hold urine through the night. When he poops he can't get it all out and it gets all over him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marcia replied 5 years ago.

Hello, thank you so much for your question today. I hope I can be of help and some assistance.

I have a few questions for you first:

1) How long have you noticed the urine and fecal problems?

2) Is there any vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, etc.?

3) When you say he can't "hold urine," is he leaking while sleeping?

4) Any lameness, rear leg weakness, etc.?

5) Has he had any diagnostic testing done?

And finally, in your post you do not clarify what your exact questions are. Please let me know specifically what type of information you are looking for.

Thank you so much!

Dr. Marcia

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He started about a week ago. Using the bathroom on the floor, no leaking.

Once a week or so he vomits bubbly yellow, very small amounts. No diarrhea but loss of appetite, usually mornings and eats well at night.

Won't get up in the mornings sometimes for about two-three weeks I have to pick him up and put him outside. After that he's usually fine.

Thank you so much for your answers,Customer

Based on your responses, I will assume he has not been to the vet for these issues yet or had any type of testing done to look into these issues. I will also assume that you are just looking for some information as to what could be going on with your dog. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Based on what you have described, if you came in to see me at my clinic, these are the type of issues I would be concerned about:

1) The possible loss of good control of urination and defecation, as well as the hard time getting up in the morning, could indicate some rear end issues, such as spinal or nerve disease in the rear end/low back region. As they age, dogs can develop issues such as arthritis in the spine, fusion of the spine, or issues with the discs in the back, which can compress the spinal cord and nerves and cause difficulty with urination, defecation or loss of control, as well as rear leg pain or difficulty getting up. I would be interested in taking some x-rays of the back to see if there are spinal problems.

2) The urinating in the middle of the night could also be due to issues like a urinary tract infection, or underlying disease such as kidney disease, thyroid issues, diabetes, etc. These types of underlying diseases can cause increased water consumption (have you noticed this? It would be a good thing to monitor) and greater urine production, leading to more accidents. The low level vomiting can also be due to underlying diseases. I would ideally want to check a urine sample, as well as do some blood testing on your dog to see if everything internally is functioning properly.

3) Dental disease is very common in little dogs like a maltese, and I see many with the teeth falling out. This alone can be a serious issue and make the dog more prone to other problems. Chronic infection in the mouth can really affect a dog's overall health. So after making sure the dog was healthy otherwise, I would want to consider dental work to clean teeth, and remove any remaining diseased teeth. Afterwards, a round of antibiotics to clear up remaining infection in the mouth would be warranted.

As you can see, with these signs, your dog is due for an extensive work-up if that is something you will consider. That would be the best way to get the answers as to why these issues are occurring, and help him be as healthy as possible.

I hope this gives you a good starting point. Thank you so much! Dr. Marcia

*Please click accept if satisfied with this answer, or ask any additional questions that I can help you with. I am happy to help!*