armydoc, Veterinary School Student
Experience:  Vet Student

How much asprin can I give my 120lb lab

Customer Question

How much asprin can I give my 120lb lab?
Category: Dog
Expert:  armydoc replied 8 years ago.
Good evening! Im Glad to handle your question!

Aspirin has the same problems in dogs that it has in people. It can cause gastrointestinal upsets and ulcers if the GI signs are ignored. It can cause renal failure if overdosed. It causes an increase in clotting time. This usually isn't a serious side effect but it does occur. Despite these shortcomings it has a lot of beneficial effects and it is inexpensive. Since there is a range I usually pick the middle of it and go for about 5mg/lb every 12 hours. This works well and seems to be pretty safe. That works out to an adult aspirin tablet per 64 pounds of body weight twice a day.

Enteric coated aspirin is not recommended in dogs because about half the time the coating isn't digested and the aspirin is excreted whole in the stool. Use buffered.