How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 20956
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I found my dog tearing apart and eating a bromeliad in my yard

Resolved Question:

I found my dog tearing apart and eating a bromeliad in my yard this evening. Are bromeliads poisonous to dogs?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hi,

If this plant is called a 'blushing bromeliad', it is NOT poisonous to dogs. However, watch for any intestinal upset, vomiting, diarrhea, mouth problems, and bring your dog to the vet if you notice any unusual symptoms.

http://lowchensaustralia.com/health/pplantsnon.htm

I hope all will be well!

Cher
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Cher,

From the photos I've seen of Blushing Bromeliads, I don't think it is the same kind of bromeliad. The one he was tearing up had a flower that looked like the one on this page:

http://www.amazonworld.co.uk/plants.html. The leaves/spikes are leathery and jagged, and the flower grows out separately; it isn't some of the existing leaves that change color. I don't know is this makes a difference or not.

Lisa

Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hi again, Lisa, and thanks for your patience. I was offline when you replied.

I can't find 'bromeliad' on any toxic list, and only find 'blushing bromeliad' on the non-toxic list of plants for dogs, as I sent you. I've heard of this plant, I've seen this plant, but I couldn't say for sure if it was poisonous or not, since it's not listed on any of the toxic plants lists.

I hope by now, your dog is not acting ill, but if he did show any unusual symptoms, you've had him evaluated by the vet and treated.

Would you please let me know how he's doing? Thanks!

Cher
Cher and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you