Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder

blood on spayed female dogs vagina

I thought it was just wet hair from urinating, but since it looked a lot darker I noticed that the tip of her vagina has some dried up blood and in the hair coming out of the area. We just came back from a trip so she's been under stress and different environments all weekend and is very tired and sleepy now. What could the blood be? I adopted her two weeks ago and she was spayed the day I picked her up so it's not her period. I have a second appointment with the Vet next Monday. Can it wait or should I try to go this week? Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Donna P. replied 8 years ago.

The smell could definitely be from anal glands. They normally express these when having a bowel movement - but can get expressed on themselves if they get startled or stressed about something. I would suggest bathing the area.

There are a couple of reasons why she could have some blood coming from her vagina. If she has a bladder infection she could have blood in her urine. You normally would notice an increase in the amount of urination as well. If she is licking herself a lot - it may be due to an inverted vulva which can become very irritated and scalded with urine. This can cause some bleeding - but the area would look irritated. If she is licking the area some of the darker stuff you are seeing in the hair could be a reaction with the saliva. Any area that they lick a lot or has saliva contact can develop this dark brown/reddish debris. You often see it in lip folds as well. If she is licking the area I would suggest trimming the hair away from the area so that you can keep in clean and dry easier.

If she is acting okay and it is only a small amount it is probably not something that needs to be seen right away. If you are noticing that she is still lethargic after recouping from your trip or if you are noticing significant amounts of blood I would get into the vet sooner.

I hope this was helpful. If you need more information - just reply to your question.

Donna P.

_____________If this was helpful, please click ACCEPT___________________

thank you.