Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

why is my dogs rear end bleeding

Customer Question

why is my dogs rear end bleeding
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Cruger,

Rectal bleeding can be a problem in the rectum or the colon. If it happens right after defecating, it may be an anal gland problem. Just bleeding from the rectum without clots may just be a problem in the rectal area such as rectal polyps. You can read about anal gland problems here:

You can read about rectal polyps here:

It's also possible your dog may be experiencing a rectal prolapse. You can read about that here.

Parasites such as worms and protozoan infections such as coccidia and giardia can produce blood in the stool and blood from the rectum after bowel movements. Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.   Revolution and Interceptor as well as other heartworm medications also control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.
You can read about these here:

If there is straining to defecate, frequent small stools, mucus with the stools, blood coating the feces, signs of discomfort such as licking, turning suddently or crying, then most likely the problem is in the rectal area. This would include rectal polyps or prolapse, parassites, colitis, colonic ulcers, hemorrhagic gastoenteritis (HGE) and even cancer. HGE is very serious and life threatening. You can read about it here:

If the dog is vomiting and refusing to eat along with bloody diarrhea, then the dog should be seen immediately by your vet. Most cases of blood in the stool or bleeding from the rectum is not immediately life threatening if there is no bleeding from other openings, but there are a few that can be. You can read about the various cause of red blood in the stool here:

I do urge you to have the dog seen in any case so a definite diagnoses can be determined and treatment plan decided on. I hope this information is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

he is happy and running around he isn't discomfortable or anything he eating normally is there any other information you could give me please

If he seems to be normal in every other way, then it is likely to be parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection or an anal gland issue. A fecal test can rule out parasites. If deworming doesn't help the situation, you will need a vet visit.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

thank you soooo much and sorry one more question please, my dog hasn't been school trained or anything so he doesn't like strangers touching him and we tried putting a mussel on him but he took it off how can i control this situation when i take him to the vets

I've had the same problem with my dogs when using the cloth type cheaper muzzle. I've added another piece to the existing muzzle that runs up the center of the muzzle and attaches to the piece that goes behind the ears on the neck. This helps prevent them from pawing the muzzle off. The basket muzzles are better though. They allow the dog to open their mouths and dogs seem to like those much better and don't fight to remove them as much.

An emergency muzzle can also be used for short term use such as during the exam.
When you take your dog into the vet, warn them in advance so they can be careful around your dog.

For future reference, obedience training is a must for rotties. I suggest that you enroll him in an obedience class at a minimum. Before you can get into classes, the following site at the bottom has links to specific basic commands which have pictures so you can see you are doing it correctly.

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.