Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog is shaking almost like he is cold and was coughing ealier

My dog is shaking almost like he is cold and was coughing ealier today like he did when he had kennel cough. He is also very sleepy. Should we be overly concerned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Tuomi,

What breed is your dog?
How old is he?
Is he still coughing or is that over?
Any swelling of the abdomen?
Is he eating, drinking and eliminating normally?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He is a wire haired griffon pointer mixed with a pointer. He is only 11 mnths old. He is still coughing but not very often. There is no swelling in the abdomen. He ate this morning but you can tell that he has a slight loss of appetite. I gave him a treat and it took him about a min.(he hesitated a little) to eat it when normally he eats it right away.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do you still need more info
Hi Tuomi,

I am typing your response now.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am not sure if I am working this website right so I was just wondering if I am still connected
Hi Tuomi, Shaking or trembling can be due to hypoglycemia, liver shunt, or a neurologic response such as a seizure. Trembling can also be a sign of pain, stress and cold. Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar and frequently causing trembling in smaller breeds. Feeding your dog smaller meals more frequently can help. If you suspect your dog is having low blood sugar you can put a drop of pancake syrup on your dog's tongue which should raise the level. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoglycemia-in-dogs/page1.aspx A liver shunt is usually a genetic condition. It is a condition where instead of the blood going through the liver and being cleansed, part of the blood is diverted around the liver resulting in a toxic buildup in the blood. You can read about these here: http://www.malteseonly.com/shunt2.html Seizures can manifest as trembling and a dog may not lose conscienceness. A dog does have after effects to seizures such as being tired. You can read more about seizures here: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_seizure_disorder.html Your breed isn't prone to a lot of health problems but hip dysplasia is an issue in the breed. Pain can cause trembling. Be sure and check his mouth to be sure he hasn't injured his mouth or teeth. Check for any issues getting up or moving which might be related to hip dysplasia. He might also have an upper respiratory illness that is giving him some chills along with a fever and some coughing. You will want to monitor your dogs condition looking for colored discharge from the nose or eyes, a productive cough (coughs stuff up), stops eating or lethargy. These are signs of a possible bacterial infection as well and my require antibiotics. If your dog appears to be having a difficult time breathing, you will need to see your Vet as some dogs dog get really sick with canine influenza and need support to recover. To help your dog breathe easier you can run a NON-medicated humidifier in the room your dog is in, or sit in a steamed up bathroom with your dog to help keep the mucous moving. Robitussin DM at a 1/4 teaspoon per 5 pounds can be used to control the cough. Dosages can be obtained at this website. http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm/page1.aspx Since his trembling might be pain related, I'd be inclined to have him seen if the trembling continues. Hope this helps.