Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

My dog keeps licking her private area and it seems like it hurts her, the area is red.

She will sometimes cry for a quick moment, when she moves she will move quickly and she sometimes has a hard time getting comfortable.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Hi melissa,
For how long has she been doing this?
Is she spayed or intact?
Is anything oozing or dripping from her vulva?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This has started about 1 or 2 days ago.

She is spayed

Nothing is oozing or dripping

Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
If she is constantly licking at it and it is now reddened and seems painful to her, then it is most likely a case of perivulvar dermatitis. This is an infection of the skin surrounding the vulva, that leads to itchiness. The dog starts to lick at it because it is itchy, and in the process, causes more and more irritation, and possibly secondary infections as well.
At this point, the best thing to do is to take her into the veterinarian tomorrow to have this looked at. If it is perivulvar dermatitis, the vet will likely clean the area well, apply some topical ointment or cream, and start your dog on an oral antibiotic to clear up the infection. You may want to go pick up one of those cone collars to go over head for the evening, so that she will not continue to lick at the area and make it worse. You can get these at most well-stocked pet stores.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and that your dog feels better soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cannot get her into a vet until Monday evening was the quickest one I can get and I tried them all will she be okay what can i do untik then?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
This cannot wait until Monday evening. A good veterinarian should fit her in tomorrow. It does not sound right to me that every vet would have nothing available until Monday. If this is truly the case, then I would take her to an emergency clinic tonight so that this can be treated.
This condition is truly an uncomfortable condition, and is only going to get worse, the longer that it is left untreated. The most that you can do at home is to get the cone for her head so that she cannot lick at it, and then clean the area well with soap and water...and pat it dry well (DO NOT blow dry it). Other than that, you won't be able to do much for this without prescription antibiotics.

I wish that there was something else for you to do...but she is uncomfortable, and she needs veterinary attention. So, if your local vet will not fit you in until Monday (which is really just very unprofessional) then you should go to the emergency clinic.

Dr. K
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Please remember to click on the green "accept" to show that you were pleased with your service. If you do not click accept, the website will keep the entire fee that you paid, and I will not personally be compensated at all for my time or expertise.

If there is something that needs further clarification, please let me know so that I can offer some more information that may be of further help.

Thank you,
Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian