Dr. Wally
Dr. Wally, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience in veterinary field.

My dog has bone spurs on her spine and our vet said there is

My dog has bone spurs on her spine and our vet said there is not much that can be done. She is a 5 year old yorkie and the pain is getting worse. Is there any treatments out there to help her? We give her Metacam almost every night and it does not seem to help her much.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Wally replied 8 years ago.

First, I would be sure that this is actually the cause of her pain. Many times we see those bridges on x-rays, but they usually do not cause pain. More commonly, a ruptured disc is the cause of the problem, and surgery can fix that.

If this is the problem, you might consider finding a specialist who does acupuncture and chiropractic. It can help maintain mobility and reduce pain in your dog.

Adding a Fish Oil supplement to your dogs diet can decrease the inflammation of arthritis, which this is. You can purchase them at any human pharmacy. Give one per 20 pounds, so for a Yorkie, give one per day.

Glucosamine/chondroitin supplements can help as well. Ask your vet which one they recommend.

Injections of Adequan can help relieve pain from arthritis by helping to lubricate joints. It may not apply in this case, as the bone spurs are not joints, but your dog has had problems with her knees that this may be helpful for.

If you feel my answer was helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Feedback & Bonuses are always welcome. If a deposit has been made, it remains with Just Answer until you press ACCEPT. Once you press ACCEPT then I am paid.

If there is something I can furthur clarify, Click REPLY