Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years

My 1 year old lab mix has red sores around her vagina, around

My 1 year old lab mix has red sores around her vagina, around her hind legs. She chews at herself and scratches. Do you know what this is?
There are any number of things that can cause itching in dogs. If she is having red pustules, whatever it is, it is infected. That will itch and cause pain as well. She needs antibiotic tablets for that. Shampoos won't help.

Does she have anyfleas? Has she been exposed to any other dogs that are itching? THere are mites that can be transmitted between animals.

You should take the puppy to the vet for treatment.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Our vet just shaved her last time and applied ointment.

We know she doesn't have fleas and hasn't been around other dogs. (so no mites)

We just aren't sure why this rash keeps re-occuring or how to prevent it....
Ask your vet for Cephalexin for 3 weeks. That will help with the bacterial skin infection. In pups, food allergies are common and any type of skin parasite is common. You can also ask your vet to give her some prednisone tablets to help stop the itching.