Lori, Canine Health Care & Guidance
Experience:  Qualified by many years of healthcare & experience in breeding dogs

Do any of the eye drops for cataracts in dogs work

Do any of the eye drops for cataracts in dogs work?

That's a good question, and unfortunately, the answer Surgery is really the only treatment that is effective for cataracts, but I'm attaching a link for you that I think you will find very informative. Monitoring the condition may be the best choice for you and your dog unless things change significantly with inflammation of the eyes where you would need to use medication. Two things to think about........the success rate for surgery is much higher if it is done before the cataract matures. Also, they suggest doing both eyes at the same time, even if one is not as bad as the other because the cost for doing both at the same time is substantially less than doing them at different times.

below are two other links....toward the bottom of the first article, you will see where medical treatment other than surgery is not effective. The second basically confirms this also.

I wish I had better news for you, but whatever decision you make, your dog will do just fine. Please let me know if I can help further.