Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

Can you mate a male with only one testicle

My 7 month old Miniature Bull terrier male only has one testicle and we had purchased him as a mate for our 6 month old miniature bull terrier female. Obviously we wont be mating them for about a year, however I need to know whether he can mate since I will have to have him neutered or return him to his previous owner since I only got him yesterday. Please help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 7 month old Mini Bull Terrier. In answer to your question, sadly the answer is no you should not. This is because dogs who are 'cryptorchid' (meaning those that only drop one testicle) have this trait within their genes, meaning if it were possible to breed from them then they would pass this trait on to puppies they father. This really is not a trait we want to select for, and by breeding from cryptorchid animals, we are basically selecting for the trait!

For this reason Veterinarians neuter all of these dogs, and this in itself is a relatively tricky surgery, involving an abdominal search for the retained testicle. After this testicle is found and removed, the one that has dropped is also remove, ensuring the dog cannot be bred from.

I hope this all makes sense, and that you understand why we do not breed from these animals. Please reply if you would like more info.

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards