Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

how do i know if my puppy has a bladder infection

The only way to know for sure is by having a vet do urinalysis. However, the most common symptom is frequent urination. Many times, very little will come out at a time. The puppy may also be unable to control urination - it may dribble out at any time, and it can even leak out during sleep. Many dogs drink more water when they have a urinary tract infection. These symptoms can also indicate bladder stones and other bladder disorders. They also often accompany kidney disease. You can read more about bladder/kidney disorders at the following site:

The best thing to do is set up an appointment with your vet. Even a simple infection can turn serious if it isn't treated. As long as the puppy shows no other symptoms, this isn't an emergency. If he should become lethargic, lose his appetite, or vomit, you'll then need to see a vet as soon as possible. Otherwise, I'd make an appointment first thing Monday morning. If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your puppy will recover quickly.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
does this constitute an emergency vet visit?
Not if the only symptom is that the puppy is urinating a lot. This alone doesn't constitute a life-threatening emergency. If you see any other symptoms at all, then it does. Things to watch for include loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and shakiness or weakness. If you see any symptoms besides the frequent urination, you'll want to see an emergency vet.

You may also want to consider an emergency vet if you just want to get treatment started more quickly. If you decide to wait until monday, that's two more days for you to deal with the cleaning, and for your puppy to feel uncomfortable. If you're a worrier (I'm one of those, so I understand), you may want to go to the vet now for your own peace of mind. Only you can make the decision.

There's no need to click on accept again. Thank you.