Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years
1348006

how long does a 6 month old puppy stay in heat, and since she

Customer Question

how long does a 6 month old puppy stay in heat, and since she is no longer bleeding, and on spaying in 4 days and she is very hyper, have u heard of wire sutures, r they safe?XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Dog
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
The bleeding part of the heat cycle usually lasts from 9-14 days. When she stops bleeding, then she is in true heat or standingheat, where she will accept the male dog.

Yes, wire sutures are used, especially to tell if a dog has been spayed in latter years when an X-ray is taken of the belly. The wire sutures will show up. Most surgeons do not use wire because it can puncture things like blood vessels later on. We use dissolving sutures that are gone in 90 days. If the vet is using the wire sutures only in the skin, it is to discourage chewing on the sutures because the cut ends are sharp and hurt the tongue. That is perfectly acceptable. I am using metal staples to close the skin in all of my spays right now.
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
since she is still in heat with no bleeding, will accept male dogs, and standing heat, how will i know when she is out of heat for good, and is she subject to engorged vessels, so if vet, hits one of those, is there a good chance of her dying, or more serious problems?XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
When she goes out of heat, her vulva will go down in size and shrivel up.

It is a little more involved to spay a dog in heat. We normally put more sutures on the blood vessels to make sure that they don't bleed. Your vet will charge more for extra work involved in spaying an in heat dog. Dogs almost never die from spaying. Evne if a blood vessel leaks, it usually seals itself up pretty quickly in a normal bitch.
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does not show any accept, unless this one already paid.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this $9,00 plus $1..00 has been paid. and i see no accept button. it shows 19 accepts and 19 questions and paid on my account. thanks, <a href="mailtoXXX@XXXXXX.XXX">XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX</a>