Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder
10212894

my dog will not stop whining. He whines ALL THE TIME, with

Customer Question

my dog will not stop whining. He whines ALL THE TIME, with absolutely no explanation as to why. He's healthy and happy, just won't be quiet!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Donna P. replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

First of all, I would recommend a thorough physical examination and possible bloodwork to rule out any physical causes for anxiety or discomfort. If everything checks out OK - it may be just a behavioral issue. It is possible that you have inadvertantly rewarded the whining with attention. If he used to whine to be let out or in - he successfully trained you to dog something when he whined. This may now have been followed to an extreme. It may really help to start doing leadership building exercises with him. If you think about what the top dog in a pack gets to do it looks something like this - they go where they want, they get whatever they want, they are allowed to have to most prized possessions, they initiate interactions with others, they direct what the pack will do. Then if you look at how many of us treat our dogs - you can see why a dog starts thinking that they are the leader. We let them out or in when they tell us to, we feed them our food when they demand it, they have access to the best sleeping spots, they initiate most interactions with us, they have possessions that they are allowed to own and have free access to. It may help to begin a leadership building program for you. You do this by initiating a nothing in life is free approach. This just means that the dog has to earn everything by obeying a command. You don't obediently let him outside when he whines - but instead require him to give up some control and obey a sit-stay command prior to being let outside. You ignore him if he comes up to you to be petted. But later you initiate the contact and encourage him to play a game with you. He doesn't get fed until he obeys a command. He gets nothing without obeying a command. Once the dog begins to see you as a strong leader - this alone can reduce the anxiety level in a dog. This is because they no longer have that weight of being a leader on their shoulders. I would also encourage you to do lots of obedience or agility work with this dog. Exercise alone is not enough for some dogs. Some very intelligent dogs need to be doing something with their minds. Also the built up frustration of not being able to get to the deer can cause a lot of anxiety that can then be redirected elsewhere. I would prevent him from getting all worked up over them if at all possible. Take advantage of this situation to build leadership but making him focus on you and obedience work instead.

If nothing seems to help- you can ask your vet about the possibility of prescribing anti-anxiety mediations.

I hope that this helped. If you need more information , just reply to your question.

Donna P.

_______If this helped, please click ACCEPT_____________

thank you.