Dr. Wally
Dr. Wally, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience in veterinary field.

Tonight my dogs eyelid in left eye prolapsed and the white

Customer Question

Tonight my dog's eyelid in left eye prolapsed and the white is showing. His right upper eyelid is very swollen - he was fine until he threw up and I let her out - when I let her back in, her eyelids were as I just described them. They were fine earlier in the evening. What would cause this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Wally replied 8 years ago.
Can you clarify-did this dog vomit, then go outside, and come back in with swollen eyes? Was she outside right before vomiting?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

no, she vomited first and asked to be let out. I'm sorry, I went to bed when I didn't hear from you. She was just crying found out she'd vomited again and when I let her out she vomited again - when I came to the door after cleaning up the vomit inside I saw her eating grass again - a dog's way of throwing up something that is bothering them - this vomit was much wetter - the other has been pretty solid like her dry dog food. Now both eyes look the same with the white of the inner lid showing all around the eye. The vomit in the house was solid and had grass in it this time.

I'm looking up an emergency dog vet here in Southern Wisconsin - I'm concerned what may happen if I wait til morning to get help for her. All she had today was her dry dog food and her milk bones (treat). She's always been much younger than her years - she's beautiful - part husky, German shepherd, pit bull and wolf - medicum sized dog - weighs about 70 pounds.

I greatly appreciate your willingness to help, especially at this hour, but I think she needs help now so I'm going to try to find a vet who will see her right now. Have kept the last matter she vomited in the house for them to check. She's outside whimpering now - I have to bring her in. Thank you very much! Goodbye!

Expert:  Dr. Wally replied 8 years ago.
I hope you found the help you needed. Best of luck to you and your dog.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you - I'm in a waiting mode right now because I had a health scare today also since they think I may have a brain anuerism (don't know exact spelling so am doing it the way it sounds) - won't go into that right now - had MRI this afternoon and will get results tomorrow. Kammi threw up this morning and hasn't eaten yet. Since my vision was so blurry I couldn't safely drive her to vet but her eyes are normal again and she stopped vomiting but hasn't eaten today though has been drinking water. If still no appetite tomorrow morning, I'll get her to the vet or have someone take her if I still can't see to drive.

Appreciate your note, Dr. Wally - justanswer is a slow process where there is a crisis but it's good to know the website is there. - Kammi and I spent a sleepless night last night and I'm beyond exhausted tonight so I'm going to bed now and hope not to lie there worrying about her or myself.

Hold onto your hat - talking about a crisis - that is what our country is in, big time. Huge changes are coming and none of them will be good!

Take care!

Pamela deRoy.

P.S. Vets are some of my favorite people right up there with nurses. I talked with one locally in the middle of the night - it helped me calm down.

Expert:  Dr. Wally replied 8 years ago.

Your dog might be having an allergic reaction to something, either in your house or possibly an insect sting. The vomiting and swollen eyes can be an indicator of that.

If the swelling has gotten better today, I would just keep an eye on her.

If it has not improved, a trip to the vet is in order. With your sudden health crisis I know you might not be able to get her there quickly. If she is blinking/squinting/painful-I'd say don't wait, it might be glaucoma and a true emergency. If she is comfortable, just bug-eyed, it can safely wait.

If she is still vomiting and acting sick, she should be brought in.

I wish you luck with your health problem. I hope you are getting excellent care. Please let me know how your dog does, and I can continue to advise you on this one. I'd like to help. If you have any concerns, please let me know, or call your vet.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She just ate for the first time since Wednesday - eyes and face have returned to normal. Her eyes are bright again and she's grooming herself - looks good. Thanks!