Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

How to keep a dog calm during road trips?

What can I give my dog to calm her down during a road trip?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

You have a couple of options to use for a car trip that may help. The first is to use plain Benedryl at 1-2 mgs per pound every 8 hours. This will make the dog sleepy and should help keep your baby calm. There is also a natural product called Rescue Remedy that is used by many vets as a calmative. It is called Rescue Remedy. It is sold in the pet supplies or the Health Food stores. These two products are very effective for road trips. The other option would be to get some medication from the vet.

Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

Your optional information came through late. I did not see that you had already tried the Benedryl before I posted the answer. The medication to ask the vet about is Acepromazine, which is a prescription.