Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

my dogs chest and right shoulder is swollen and very hard,

Customer Question

My dogs chest and right shoulder is swollen and very hard, he acts as though his whole front leg on that side is paralyzed, is this a condition of advanced heartworm disease?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I do know for a fact he has heartworms and he is at least 12 or 13 years old. No I have not taken his temp,
Expert:  DrLucy replied 8 years ago.
Not necessarily--it could also be from an infection. If it is from the heartworm disease, it could be from a clot that went to his leg. I would take his temperature (normal is between 100.5 and 102.5). Also check the pulses and temperature in his lower leg. If it is warm, it could be infection; if cool, it could be a clot. To check his pulse, feel the inside, back of his paw, above the dewclaw, in the spot roughly equivalent to where the pulse would be in your wrist. If you can feel it, compare it to the other leg.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  DrLucy replied 8 years ago.
I had tried to post back to hear what you found, but the question was locked, for some reason. I did report it to JustAnswer, so I guess they fixed the problem. Were you able to take the temperature and feel the pulse? Is the leg warm or cool?