Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Bleeding nipple on elderly female dog

Bleeding nipple on elderly female dog
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose your problem over the internet I can tell you what would be going through my mind if I was presented with such a case. There would be a number of possibilities.

1. Sometimes nipples get caught and suffer wounds of various sorts. Ideally you should have your vet check this out and perhaps dispense antibiotics. I have known clients successfully treat small wounds with the likes of neosporin though.

2. It could be an infection such as mastitis or some other form of infection. As the problem is internal these are best treated with antibiotics.

3. This is the one to watch : Cancers of the ducts in the nipple and some other breast cancers can produce a discharge from the nipple which could be bloody. This type of thing is relatively common in older female dogs. There would be a number of treatment options but surgery would be the most common.

I am so sorry I cannot suggest any home remedy here, first you need a diagnosis and that will mean a visit to your vet, normally these things are trivial but there are more sinister possibilities, better safe than sorry !

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS