Dr Rosie Brown
Dr Rosie Brown, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience in small animal practice. Dog obedience and agility trainer.

can a dogs tail get dislocated

i have a beagle he is 2. his tail is all the way down and when I try to lift it he yelps
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Rosie Brown replied 8 years ago.
Hi Barbara

Has your boy had any injuries lately, like a fall? Been swimming at all?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
none. my son was playing with him and accidently pulled it. i can touch his back and legs without him yelping. i just can touch his tail. he will jump up and down.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
can he be given any pain medication ie tylenol advil
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
are you still their
Dogs can certainly dislocate or break their tail, but can also just sprain it. The symptoms are much the same - they don't like their tail being touched, or manipulated.

Depending on where the injury is, if it's high enough up the pelvis, it may also affect the nerves controlling urination or defecation. If you can get a peek under his tail at his anus, it should be nice and tight as usual. If it's flaccid or loose, it may indicate nerve damage.

You've got a couple of options from here: Firstly, if he's otherwise well and eating/drinking normally, you can let him rest and keep him confined so he doesn't bump it any further. Keep an eye on his toileting habits to be sure he can pass urine and feces okay. If he's not feeling any better in a day or so, or if he can't go to the toilet or has a flaccid anus, get him examined and probably x-rayed. If there is nerve damage, the sooner it's treated, the better the possible outcome.

Re pain relief, I'm not able to prescribe anything for him online, however there is an informative site with information on the use of anti inflammatories in dogs here:

Alternatively, if you have a vet open on a Saturday near you, you can have him checked out, your vet may want to x-ray him straight away, and he can prescribe some pain relief to make him more comfortable.

Either is a fair option at this stage. Hopefully he's just got a strain or sprain from your dog loving son (I've got one of them too!), and he'll recover without any dramas.

I hope he's feeling better soon.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you