How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 21217
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My puppy all the sudden seems fatique her head is bobbing side

Customer Question

My puppy all the sudden seems fatique her head is bobbing side to side in small movements. I am very concerned. could it be a sudden cold. I'm afraid to let her sleet. She was playing with a plant leave dracaena. Please contact asap.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello,

Dracaena IS toxic to dogs, so I believe the symptoms you describe are due to a toxic reaction; she may be having seizure type symptoms, with the head bobbing and lethargy. You need to have your puppy seen by an ER vet center (if your regular vet is closed now), immediately, so she can be treated and given supportive care, if she did ingest any of this plant.   If you have no ER vet center in your area, look in your local Yellow Pages under 'Veterinarians' and find listings including 'Emergency Hours' and/or 'Emergency Phone Numbers'; start calling vets in your area until you find one who will come into the office for you or who will make a housecall.

http://www.sniksnak.com/plants-toxic.html

I hope your puppy will be fine, once she's treated.

Cher
Cher and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What can I do to help her discard it. She seem already a bit better?
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply and your accept.

I'm glad she seems a bit better!

If she ate the leaf of the plant, within the past 2 hours, you can induce vomiting. Follow these directions:

Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian. (from: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx)

If it's been more than two hours since she may have ingested the plant, feed her two slices of very burnt toast--burnt black. The burnt part is charcoal, and this will help to neutralize some of the toxins in her stomach, however, she still needs to see the vet, as soon as possible, if she ingested this toxic plant.

I hope she continues to feel better!

Cher

Related Dog Questions