Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

what do i do if my dog swallowed a plastic squeaker

Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Ehm,

If it was swallowed in the last 2 hours and it does not have any sharp points that could potentially cut or puncture your dog's throat, you can try inducing vomiting with a 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds. This can be repeated ONE time if vomiting does not occur. You will need to look through the vomit to be sure it is expelled.

If it is a sharp pointed object or it does not come up, Right now about all you can do is wait and see what happens. If it is a sharp pointy object you can give your dog a piece of bread that may wrap itself around it and allow it to go through the system easier. You will need to keep an eye on your dog’s stools to see if it passes through your dogs system as well as for signs of fresh blood or mucus.

Fresh blood or mucus indicates inflammation within the large intestine while dark black or tarry looking stools indicate bleeding in the upper digestive tract. If your dog’s stools become black then your dog should see a Vet immediately. If your dog begins to vomit, has a lot of diarrhea, becomes unresponsive to you or squats without having a bowel movement then you should take her to the vet immediately as well. As long as your dog is acting normally just monitor your dog closely to be sure it passes through your dog's system.

I hope this information is helpful to you.